It is hardly a surprise that we were a tired bunch of pie bakers today at PJP Buttonwood after yesterday’s epic Pi(e) Day. But even after a record breaking sales day, the quest for #worldpiedomination must go on, right? Beyond starting with absolutely no pie (or even any dough), we also had 150 baby pies on order for a customer today and a fair amount of Jelly Jars to ship all over the country. So we just put on fresh aprons and got to work, even though none of us working this morning were even sure what day of the week we are on.
So, as we transition back to normal life, here are a few things that have happened while I was distracted with Pi(e) Day…
- PJP’s Chocolate Bourbon Pecan made the cut to the final three in the race to win Inside Columbia’s Best of Columbia contest (in the Best Dessert category). Today is the final day to vote and a vote for PJP is a vote for #worldpiedomination. If we win, Chocolate Bourbon Pecan tarts for everyone.
- And speaking of fun, PJP’s third birthday is April 17th. DANG, WHERE DOES TIME GO? We let our first and second birthdays slip by relatively low key, but three feels a little different to me. Maybe perhaps because we’ve learned enough over the past 36 months to be able to take a deep breath and consider the accomplishes of the past three years. Or maybe it is because we could name the celebration “OMG, PJP Is Three!”. (I guarantee you that Jeanne just rolled her eyes.)
- But April 17th is the day after Easter and Easter has historically been one of our busiest days of the year, so…basically we will make a decision about birthday celebrations on April 14th or so. Sounds about right.
- Which reminds me, plan to order for Easter soon if you haven’t already. Due to volume, we did have to close the ordering system down last year for Easter weekend fairly early. I don’t know how many orders we have right now, but I also didn’t even know it was Wednesday until 9 or so this morning because I’ve gotten up and baked for a million days in a row and it has all blended together and I would have sworn it was Thursday. So there’s that to consider.
- And that’s it. Maybe if I would have answered some emails and followed up on some PJP work that didn’t include being elbow deep in peeled apples, I could report more. That’s just my way of saying that a) I lead a glamorous life, and b) if you emailed me in the past week, I totally haven’t read it. Oh, and I guess c) I could use a personal assistant…or a professional apple peeler.