So…did you know today was Pi(e) Day?
I might have mentioned it a time or two. Or 100, honestly.
Let’s cut right to it…we made SO SO SO SO SO MANY PIES over the past 48 hours. We had a large order of 200 baby pies for an organization due yesterday and an early morning school fundraising order of 51 twelve-inch pies for this morning. And then we made another 750 pies for PJP Buttonwood for sale today. And we sold all of them, so we made more. And we sold those right off the hot baking trays. So we made some more. And sold those. I think you get the point. And as a weary Kayla pointed out at some point today, March is the new November. Truer words have never been spoken. (Except for when I said I needed an extra shot in my iced coffee, because that was the legit truth.)
But here is all the good from today…
- We had fun. Seriously. We have the best team of employees ever, so even though the hours are long, we never run out of things to talk about or things to laugh about.
- Neither Jeanne or I cried. Whaaaaat? We were both pretty zen all day, actually. I know, I don’t even know who we are any more.
- We worked from a hard stance of first-come/first-serve for all the pies and didn’t allow people to call in and reserve pies. It made a few people sad (and at least one pretty darn mad), but from our perspective, it made the experience far more equitable for the long line of people waiting outside our door for a better part of the day. And it helped Team PJP stress a lot less, so a smart move overall.
- 98% of people who stopped by were having great fun with the whole Pi(e) Day thing. We accidentally left a tray of Dutch Apple babies in the oven a few minutes too long and they were a bit darker than our standard. I sold them all off for $2 each in under two minutes, fulfilling my whole Oprah “and you get a car, and you get a car” fantasy. Except with almost-burnt pies. Whatever, I’ll take what I can get.
- And finally, it hardly seems possible but calculations show us at a 55% increase over Pi(e) Day 2016. I even had the math independently verified, but it was right. So that only means Team PJP is the best for working so hard over the past few days. And you PJP fans…what would we do without you? Thanks so much for coming to see us today and having so much fun with it all. Even those of you at the very end who got a choice of Key Lime or Sour Cream Cherry, you were excited to try anything we had. You all are just the best. In my heart, you all get a car…